An opportunity exists for a suitably qualified individual, with professional expertise in domestic violence, to travel to Louisiana, USA from 8th May to 22nd l 2017. The trip will be sponsored by Rotary District 9800 (Victoria, Australia) and Rotary District 6840 (Louisiana & Mississippi, USA). A similarly qualified person from the southern part of the United States will come to Melbourne for 2 weeks in late March 2017.
OVERVIEW: Each host District will arrange a program of occupational visits, networking and study opportunities, as well as home hosting, for the selected person. The ambassador selected will be expected to give a 20-minute presentation at the Conference of the host Rotary District. The District 6840 Conference will be held in Mobile, Alabama from 19th to 21st May.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION: The selected candidate should
- Have demonstrated professional expertise in domestic violence.
- Preferably have had experience in creating positive change in the area.
- Be a person whose career development will be enhanced by this exchange.
- Be prepared to have an ongoing relationship with Rotary after the exchange.
- Be prepared to create a wish list for his or her exchange and assist with planning the detail of the exchange.
- Be prepared to cooperate with and work with the reciprocal exchangee in the planning and implementation of the exchange.
- Have good public speaking skills and preferably media skills.
- Be prepared to deliver a 20-minute presentation at the Rotary District Conference. The presentation should not merely outline the magnitude of the problem of domestic violence. Practical approaches and successful outcomes to the problem should be highlighted.
- Be prepared to speak at Rotary clubs during the exchange period if requested.
- Be available to travel during the specified 2-week period.
- Rotarians and non-Rotarians may apply.
COST: Costs for the chosen ambassador will be minimal. District 9800 will provide $AUD3000 to cover the cost of a return economy air fare and some money to cover incidentals. District 6840 will provide accommodation through home hosting and will assist with travel within its district.
SELECTION: Candidates are asked to provide an essay of intent and be able to provide the names of two referees. Candidates will be interviewed by a panel of Rotarians and experts in the field.
CONTACT: If you wish to apply for the domestic violence vocational exchange, or require more information, please contact:
Dr Murray Verso
Past Governor Rotary District 9800 Mobile: 0417 595 217